Medicinal and Culinary Plants in Chippendale
The last round of plants went into the verges before Christmas! We now have a great variety of herbs, both medicinal and culinary for residence to seek out for cooking, teas and potions in the gardens around chippendale. Here are some to keep and eye out for.
- Moisturising and healing properties for many skin conditions such as sunburns, cold sores and frostbite.
- Eases inflammation and soothes arthritis pain.
- Lowers high cholesterol.
- Prevents and treats candida infections.
- Anti-bacterial properties
- Anti-inflammatory effects
- Contains high levels of Vitamin A which is essential for cardiovascular health.
Bergamot - Lemon Scented
- Bergamont blocks a key enzyme in the production of cholesterol - helps to lower overall cholesterol levels
- Good for cardiovascular health
- Reduces blood sugar levels
- Good for asthmatics and bronchial spasm and/or inflammation
- Helps ease anxiety, neuroses, irritability and insomnia associated with stress
- Often used for Alzheimer's disease and improving memory
- Eases joint pain
- Decreases risk of cardiovascular disease
- Improved digestive conditions
- Lowers blood sugar levels
- Maintains bone health
- Reduces inflammation
- Help to burn fat and lowers cholesterol in the blood
- Improves heart health, boosts circulation, thins blood and helps protect against strokes
- Good for the healing of minor wounds, both internal and external - increases cell production, causing wounds to heal over rapidly.
- Reduces inflammation and lessens scarring
- Useful in treatment of coughs, asthma and bronchitis
- Encourages the immune system and reduces many of the symptoms of colds and flu
- Helps reduce symptoms of urinary tract infections, bronchitis, sinusitis, ear infections, vaginal yeast infections and upper respiratory infections
- When applied topically helps to reduce breakouts of psoriasis and eczema
- When applied topically to sunburns, echinacea's healing properties help speed the recovery process
- Lowers cholesterol
- Improves vision
- Boosts the immune system
- Improves heart health
- Good treatment for coughs, colds, flu, bacterial and viral infections and tonsillitis.
Blue Ginger - Galangal
- Aids the digestive process
- Reduces constipation and vomiting
- Effective remedy for ulcers and inflammation of the stomach
- Improves blood circulation
- Aids respiratory problems like congestion and helps regulate the breathing rate
- Acts as an anti-inflammatory
- Can be used to treat insect bites and stings
- When used topically reduces redness and itching from infections and eczema
- Effective in helping improve chronic digestive complaints
- Reduces healing time of cold sores and genital and oral herpes
- Useful in the treatment of anxiety, insomnia, depression and restlessness
- Can help digestive issues such as vomiting, nausea, intestinal gas, upset stomach and abdominal swelling
- Helps relieve pain from headaches, sprains, toothaches and sores
- Prevents hair loss
- Used for treatment of pain and inflammation of the mucous membranes that line the respiratory tract
- Used for dry cough, inflammation of the lining of the stomach, diarrhoea, stomach ulcers, constipation, urinary tract infections and stones in the urinary tract
- When used topically is a good treatment for insect bites and other burns and wounds
- Peppermint - Native
- Alleviates symptoms of IBS and reduces colonic spasms and relaxes the muscles in the intestine, allowing fas to pass and ease abdominal pain
- Helps prevent nipple cracks and pain in breastfeeding mothers
- Enhances memory and increases alertness
- Relieves tension headache pain
- Has antiseptic and antibacterial properties that helps to remove dandruff
- Relieves muscle spasms and pain
- Can be used as an antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, diaphoretic, diuretic and to promote healthy digestion
- Can work to relax and sooth anxiety and stress
- Relieves exhaustion, nervousness and mild depressions
- For women mugwort can help stimulate or regulate menstruation and can be used for menstrual cramps